Yes, you read that headline correctly— today, we’re making No-Cook Tomato Sauce! The first time we saw this idea, we were skeptical, too, but then we actually gave it a try. And friends? This sauce is the easiest, freshest pasta sauce we’ve ever had.
Plus, it involves an unexpected tool that makes the process of whipping it up kind of fun: a cheese grater. Yes, a cheese grater. Just let us show you how it’s done, then keep reading for the step-by-step instructions. You won’t regret it, we promise.
NO-COOK TOMATO SAUCE
Serves 2 to 4
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, washed and dried
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped, plus more for garnish
- Cut each tomato in half.
- Using a box grater placed over a bowl, place the tomatoes, cut-side down, over the large holes of the grater. Grate each tomato until only the skin is left. Discard the skins and remove the grater from the bowl.
- Season the grated tomato with salt and pepper.
- Add olive oil, garlic, and fresh basil to the tomato sauce.
- Stir the ingredients to combine into a sauce.
- Serve tossed in hot pasta. Garnish with additional basil, if desired.
See? How fabulous is that? While we’ll never get tired of more traditional, cooked pasta sauces – remember our Creamy Chicken Bacon Pasta, One-Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta and Italian Drunken Pasta? – it’s so good to have such an easy, fresh alternative!
Now what do YOU think? Have you ever seen anything like this no-cook sauce before? Will you be giving it a try? Tell us if you decide to be brave and try it and let us know how it turns out for you!