What do you do when you can’t decide between cinnamon rolls and pancakes for breakfast? Cinnamon roll pancakes!
This genius breakfast recipe combines the quickness and ease of pancakes with the scrumptious sugar n’ spice of cinnamon rolls to make all of your brunch dreams come true.
No one can say no to cinnamon rolls–except when you look at the average homemade cinnamon roll recipe and see that it requires waiting for the dough to rise, rolling it up, waiting for it to rise again–not to mention bake time! At that rate, it’ll be lunch by the time those rolls come out of the oven.
Well, this recipe for cinnamon roll pancakes solves that problem by adding a buttery cinnamon and brown sugar swirl to your favorite pancake batter (and yes, you can use mix to save even more time). They cook up in minutes, and the icing on the (pan)cake is a rich cream cheese glaze that you drizzle over the top.
We’d better start counting sheep, because we’re not going to be able to sleep a wink with the anticipation of having these cinnamon roll pancakes for breakfast!
Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
Serves 8 – 10
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1½ Tablespoons ground cinnamon
Cream Cheese Glaze:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tablespoons milk
- Make the pancake batter: in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add the egg, milk, and vanilla, extract and mix until the batter is fully blended.
- Make the cinnamon swirl filling: in a small bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Mix well. Transfer the mixture to a quart-sized resealable plastic bag and set it aside.
- Make the cream cheese glaze: In a medium bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla, and continue to beat until it’s fully mixed and no lumps remain. Add enough milk to thin the glaze to your desired consistency, and set it aside.
- Preheat a large skillet or griddle to medium-low heat. Spray the preheated griddle with pan spray, and wipe away any excess. Pour ½ cup of the pancake batter onto the prepared griddle.
- Twist the top of the bag containing the cinnamon filling to force the filling into one corner of the bag and remove any trapped air. Then snip the corner of the bag to create a small hole, and squeeze the bag to pipe a swirl of the cinnamon filling onto the center of each pancake.
- When the batter begins to bubble, the pancake is ready to be flipped. Flip the pancake and cook it for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until the bottom side is golden brown. Keep the pancakes warm in a low oven or on a plate covered with aluminum foil while preparing the remaining pancakes.
- Drizzle the cream cheese glaze over the warm pancakes and serve.
Are you on Team Pancakes or Team Cinnamon Rolls? Don’t choose sides–make this your new favorite breakfast recipe!